Queued

So summer's here and I [unfortunatly] am still jobless. Which means I have more free time than a Real Housewife. In anticipation of this i have a stack of books a mile high waiting to be read, re-read, or finished. And here i present them to you for your own reading pleasures;

House of Leaves



This book is a beast.
I can really think of no more appropriate way to describe it.
I bought this book at the recommendation of the man at the bookstore who wears the slightly-too-short ties. He couldn't give me a summary without "ruining it" and simply summed it up as "awesome." So after a quick glancing over, I took it home with me and became engrosed. If you are looking for something lighthearted and fun, put this right down. This book requires concentration, patience, and a healthy dose of curiosity.
if you're curiouse for more, there are plenty of online forums to discussing the book. Just do a quick Google search and you're likely to find plenty.





Pride and Prejudece and Zombies



"An expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone crunching zombie mayhem"
As a counterbalance to House of Leaves, I picked up this little number in San Francisco. You've likely heard of it, and I'm here to officially recommend it to you. The musings of the english elite are far more entertaining when sprinkeled with gore, mayhem, and the undead. Plus, there are pictures, and really how can you go wrong with that. Plus, next time you watch the movie, you'll be on the edge of your seat waiting for Kira to kick some major zombie butt.









The Phantom Tollbooth


Recommended to me by our very own Stephanie, this book comes with nothing but praise from everyone who has read it. And I really can't explain why I have yet to read it, except for possibly my childhood fixation on reading only long winded "Classics" that would make me seem smarter, {for the record, the message of Gullivers Travel's was far above my head, even though it wasn't above my reading level.]
Perhaps when I'm done with the book I'll be able to track down a copy of the movie to compare.








The Elegence of the Hedgehog


It's rare that I find myself so interested in a book based purely on the jacket summary, no recomendations, no reviews, no flashy display.
Translated from French, it is a novel about a chubby and cantencorus hotel concierge and a young, meek girl living on the fifth floor who hide their true personalities until a serendipitous coustomer from Japan checks in. The cover proclaims it is an "international bestseller", and i have few doubts that it will live up to these expectations.











A Confederacy of Dunces


"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this infalliable sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
One of those classics that they didn't have time for in school, but will inevitably make me feel just that much smarter to refernce in conversation. It sounds uncannily similar to the vastly under-rated Luke Wilson movie Idiocracy, though I may be entirely wrong in this assumption. Either way, you can't go wrong with a Pulitzer Prize.












Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

This beauty has been hiding on the shelves of the philosophy section of the bookstores for almost forty years now. It has come to be one of the best selling philosophy books ever, and is published in over 27 languages. And to clear up a few points, it's not really about Zen or Motorcycle maintence. It is however the story of a man and his son on a 14 day cross-country motorcycle trip. Along the way, a bit of bonding and a bit of philosofizing is interspersed with all the adventure such a motorcycle trip entails. pne of my favorite books, full of scribbles, stains and tears, and just waiting to be re-read.







So there you have it, a [short] list of books on my to-read list. Hopefully I was able to turn you on to something new. If you happen to have read all of these, touche.

starbrained said... said:

June 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

YES!!!! Exactly what I needed. I'm doing a series of book reviews for a local newspaper and I needed a few recommendations like these. Yay. Thank you :)

P.S. I love your blog. Welcome to the blogosphere.

Samantha said... said:

June 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

Thank you : ]
If you need any more recommendations, let me know, i've got a million more!
Good luck with the assignment, sounds fun.