oh dear its late

My poor body has not been allowing me to sleep normal hours, so it leaves me time in the early AM to ponder a lot of things.
And because I ponder so many things, I like to make lists and write, so here's a list of things that have kept my attention lately.



1. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

A hell of a read. I feel like I've trekked through the Congo after I read this. I'm doing it for school and at first, I honestly could not enjoy it whatsoever. It wasn't that it was difficult, the story plot was just not agreeable. I wanted to hit a pastor after reading the first few chapters. But towards the middle portions I started understanding the tone and speed of the writing, and I ended up liking the historical context of the novel.

I recommend this if you are:
1) Into all things African/historical fiction
2) Have a copious amount of time
3) Into religion and the Bible
4) Into poking fun of religion and the Bible
5) Have a lot of siblings



2. Romane (a.k.a Patrick Leguidcoq)

In continuation of my Django rant, I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to listen to another wonderful French musician known as Romane. I specifically recommend the songs "Swing for Ninine," and "Gypsy Fire." Note how the intro to "Swing for Ninine" sounds SO SIMILAR to "Creeping Up The Backstairs" by The Fratellis. Which I found hilarious. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP772o3yqs4&feature=related) - (By Gipsy Trio, not by Romane, but same song)

I found him under the collection "Jazz Monouche Vol 3 - Selected by Thomas Dutronc," but he has his own albums out that are super good, "French Guitar," and "Swing for Nanine"(the album) and "Gypsy Guitar Masters" by Stochelo Rosenberg & Romane.

I recommend this if you are:
1) A gypsy
2) Into jazz such as Duke Ellington and Django Reinhardt, or artists like Beirut, Kaki King, Gogol Bordello, or DeVotchKa
3) Had a huge passion for the soundtrack of Everything Is Illuminated (..... i refuse to answer questions about this)
4) Are either: Ukranian, French, or Russian and want to get in touch with your modern acoustic jazz guitar roots
5) Need some relaxing music




3. Dave Eggers

I recently finished "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" and I want to share it with the world. It's a true story, an unbelievably harsh reality, about growing up, loss, love, and passion for life. The reason why I didn't put just the novel as the focal point in this note is because Dave Eggers is one of the most inspiring people I have ever read about. Losing both parents within 32 days of one another and gaining guardianship of his 13 year old brother at the age of 21 is insane. Wikipedia him, his achievements, and his life after this novel. He is unbelievable.

I recommend Egger's novels if you:
1) Are an orphan/took care of an orphan/21 years old
2) Know someone with cancer
3) Are a big fan of "Catcher in the Rye"'s writing style
4) Are a big fan of of urbandictionary language... there is quite a lot in here
5) Need something inspiring to read




4. Tor Press - Zine A

"The first in the series of zines each based on a letter of the alphabet from Tor Press. 23 illustrators/ designers were asked to create an image with A as the theme. The zine is A5, grayscale and has a screenprinted cover.
Limited to 100 copies." -http://www.torpress.co.uk/Zine%20A.html

The upsetting thing about Tor Press is that it's a UK based company. Which means I can't get my own copy of Zine A. And if I did, I would be spending mucho dinero on it, money I don't have.
But the good thing about Tor Press, is that it lists out all the illustrators that have contributed to Zine A, that I recommend checking out. Tor Press also supports Jake Blanchard, an illustrator who recently created the work for the zine "Postcards from a 19th Century Missionary." But really research Bjorn Rune Lie, Edward Mcgowan, and Stuart Kolakovic. Great artists with really fantastic illustrations. P.S Check out The Wizard's Hat, another illustration house: http://www.thewizardshat.co.uk/index.html

I recommend this if you:
1) Like illustrations
2) Like designs like the ones you see on threadless.com
3) Doesn't mind not owning the prints yourself :(
4) Like London. And the UK. Not that it has to do with any of the illustrations
5) Enjoys abstract art





5. Treasure Island Music Festival

http://www.treasureislandfestival.com/lineup.php

Look at how incredible the lineup is! But really, I'm always the type of person who will say "Let's do this!" but when the time rolls around, I either don't: A) have enough money, B) have enough time, C) can't find transportation to and from.

But I can't stop drooling over this festival. Ahhhh someone buy me a ticket. Two preferably. And Sunday is dandy, although MGMT is wonderful. So wonderful.

I recommend this if you:
1) Are a big fan of any of those bands
2) Loves San Francisco (who doesn't?)
3) Are a pirate
4) Loves music concerts / festivals
5) Have a lot of money and a lot of time to waste. In that case, just go, it'll be good. Buy me a ticket.

It's 3:28 AM right now and I'm finally tired.
I think I will sleep. Goodnight :)

AliciaLaryn said... said:

July 20, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

OH MY GOD IM FRENCH AND WANT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MY MODERN ACOUSTIC JAZZ GUITAR ROOTS.... ITS ALMOST LIKE YOU WROTE THIS BLOG FOR ME

Michael Leija said... said:

July 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM  

We must see the TIMF! Sadly I sorta qualify somewhat for the Posionwood Bible, but I really didnt care much for it.

PS: HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO :)